Spiced Walnut and Feta Salad with Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinaigrette
Ingredients for the Spiced Walnut:
1 tbsp butter
1 cup walnuts, halved
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 pinch pepper
1 pinch cayenne pepper
Ingredients for the salad:
200 g Assorted organic greens (romaine, green rapid, lollo rossa)
50 g arugula
1 cup chopped spicy walnuts
100 g Original Greek feta cheese, diced
1. Melt butter in a heavy skillet or non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
2. When butter is melted, add the walnuts, toss to coat nuts evenly with butter.
3. Combine salt and spices and sprinkle over the buttered nuts. Toss to coat nuts evenly with the spices. Turn the heat down to medium, and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
4. When cool, store walnuts in a zip-style bag of other airtight container. These are great as hostess gifts, placed in an attractive jar.
Ingredients for the vinaigrette:
1/2 cup Balsamic vinegar
60 g dark chocolate (65%-80% cocoa content), cut into small pieces
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. In a small sauce pan, combine chocolate and balsamic vinegar on low heat for 3 minutes until chocolate has melted and vinegar has reduced. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Add oil and whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Assemble greens on a plate. Sprinkle spicy walnuts, add the crumbled goat cheese and drizzle with the dressing. Top with more freshly ground pepper if desired and enjoy!
Thanks to Appetite Magazine (Feb 2012).
Labels: Cooking Recipes by Charmine Ilago 6/9/12